What is Salt Therapy?
Salt Therapy (Halotherapy and/or Speleotherapy) is a scientifically proven method for the treatment of respiratory and related health conditions by artificially reproducing the microclimate of salt caves.
This controlled microclimate is created by a device known as a ‘halogenerator’ spraying salt aerosol into a special room (the Salt Spa) where the walls and floor are covered with layers of salt, creating a modern man-made salt environment. The halogenerator produces and maintains the required level of natural concentration of salt microparticles and creates similar to those existing in a salt mine.
- Relief from Asthma
- Relief from Allergies
- Relief from Chronic Ear, Nose, Throat (ENT) Illnesses
- Relief from Bronchitis
- Relief from Chronic Ear Infections
- Relief from Colds and Flu
- Relief from Allergies to Industrial and Household Pollutants
- Relief from Hay Fever
- Relief from Smoker’s Cough
- Relief from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (COPD)
- Relief from Cystic Fibrosis
- Relief from Pharyngitis
- Relief from Sinusitis
- Relief from Rhinitis
- Relief from Tonsillitis
- Relief from Snoring
- Relief from Sleep Apnea
- Relief from Eczema
- Relief from Psoriasis
- Relief from Dermatitis
- Relief from Acne
- Relief from Stress
- Relief from Anxiety
- Increase in Sports Performance
- Relief from Electromagnetic Smog Overdose
The history of Salt Therapy (Halotherapy/Speleotherapy) can be tracked from ancient times. Historical records contain information on the treatment in salt mines since 500 BC. Salt caves attracted the attention of clerics in ancient Greece.
The ancient Indian epic poem “Ramayana” written around 200 AD, tells how the soldiers, exhausted by chasing the kidnappers of children, took refuge in a salt cavern. Breathing the air of the salt cave, the warriors surprisingly quickly regained their strength and overtook the enemy.
In the mid 18th century a Polish health official Felix Botchkowski noticed that the workers of salt mines did not get ill with lung diseases. He wrote a book about the effects of salt dust in 1843. His successor M. Poljakowski founded a Salt Spa in Velicko near Krakow which is still in operation today. During the Second World War salt mines were often used as bomb shelters. After spending time in the mines, many people, despite harsh labor conditions and poor nutrition, even those who suffered from asthma and other lung diseases felt that their health had improved.
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes early. We are unable to interrupt a Salt Spa or Restore Room session once in progress. If you are late, you will have to join the next session depending upon availalbity.
- Salt Sessions run for 45 minutes beginning on the hour. Restore Room visits run for 60 minutes beginning on the half hour.
- We have designated times for Children sessions. Please check QiGardenSaltSpa.com for schedule and special events or call The Wellness Spa front desk for details.
- Do not use perfume, scented lotions or other substances that may produce fragrance due to many guests with chemical sensitivities.
- Refrain from smoking or smoke-filled areas before visit. We reserve the right to refuse service if necessary.
- No food, water or beverages are allowed in the Salt Spa or Restore Room.
- Plan on wearing clean socks or going barefoot in the Qi Garden. There is an area by our entance door to keep your shoes. Spa Sandals will be provided upon request.
- Children under 12 must be in the presence of an adult person at all times.
- Please resist the temptation of touching walls. Adults with children; please do not let children throw salt, mix salt box and main area salts or touch the walls.
- Please maintain silence to respect others’ experience.
- No electronic devices or personal items will be allowed in the Salt Spa or Restore Room. Lockers are provided in The Wellness Spa locker room for your convenience.
- Salt Spa or Restore Room sessions require no special clothing; salt will not damage clothing or leave noticeable residue. Wear comfortable clothing as you will remain entirely clothed for the session.
- The Salt Spa temperature averages 72 degrees Fahrenheit and 40% humidity. Dress in layers to control a comfortable temperature for yourself. Zero gravity chairs are provided, or you are welcome you walk or lay on the floor or salt box. Lighting is low and relaxing music is played. Simply sit back and relax while you take in a few deep breaths. The air in the Salt Spa is saturated with micro-fine particles of pharmaceutical grade dead sea salt which can easily be absorded through the skin and deep into your lungs. Let your Healing Experience begin!
Avoid Salt Therapy if you have one of the following:
As the growth of Salt Rooms increase in the USA, many of the contraindications that were suggested almost two decades ago in Russia and the other European countries, were carried through into the American versions of Salt Rooms. However, the past 20 years of experience and research in those European Salt Rooms has proven that there are very few concerns for those choosing Salt Therapy and they could not justify any warning once proposed. We agree. That being said we suggest the following:
- Please do not attend the Salt Spa if you have an infection accompanied by fever
- Please do not attend the Salt Spa if you have any kind of infectious disease
- Be aware that you will be in an enclosed space for 45 minutes, people with claustrophobia may find this uncomfortable, though our salt spa is 300 sq. ft. and feels spacious to most people
- Do not attend if you are intoxicated
- Be aware that if you have open wounds or bleeding, the salt may make those areas sensitive
What Clients Say
Very relaxing and helped with my respiratory problems (a sinus infection and pneumonia lasting 3 months). Left the session felling energized and less stressed.
Love it – feels like you are at the ocean. The smell, taste, and relaxation. It has helped my SAD, sinus, fibromyalgia. The staff are super nice!!!
For me, the experience is rather similar to being on a quiet island beach. Total relaxation with the alleviation of allergy issues.